Health Update

For those of you who've been concerned I wanted to give a brief update on my health and well-being. Thankfully, lately I’ve been on the lower end of the pain spectrum. Unfortunately chronic illnesses can be offset by depression and anxiety, which can increase pain and the presence of inflammation. This, in turn, can increase the symptoms of depression and anxiety. This is definitely what happened to me. It can be a pretty morbid chicken-egg situation when dealing with mental health and chronic illnesses. Much of my trepidation comes from the inability to be independent and our capitalist society that not-so-subtly equates my worth and value as a human being with my ability to generate income.

My insurance finally approved a biologic agent called Enbrel. Its purpose is to treat autoimmune diseases by interfering with tumor necrosis factor by acting as a TNF inhibitor. This coupled with physical and occupational therapy (as well as a ton of other drugs) should help return some normalcy back into my life, after a long and arduous journey.

Trying to write and create art during the flare up has proved to be daunting but I’ve been a lot kinder to myself lately when dealing with my limitations, as a result of being on a journey of radical self-love. For the first time in quite awhile, I’m feeling optimistic about the prospect of my health improving. It feels like I’m getting to be me again.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I’m Grieving an Unwanted Breakup

Compulsive Lover